Appointment of New 9-1-1 Executive DirectorJun 4th, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 4, 2021
CONTACT: Sonya L. Clauson
(832) 237 - 9911 / (713) 806-9495(C)
APPOINTMENT OF NEW 9-1-1 EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network (GHC 9-1-1) Board of Managers appointed Stan Heffernan as its executive director effective June 1, 2021.
“The GHC 9-1-1 Board of Managers has a lot of confidence in Stan Heffernan moving forward as our next executive director,” said Russell Rau, chairman of GHC 9-1-1 Board of Managers. “We are fortunate to have Stan with his vast experience of managing the operations of GHC 9-1-1 technical systems, which are critical to the continuity of our mission.”
Heffernan will administer total operations for one of the country’s largest 9-1-1 systems covering two counties (Harris and Fort Bend) and 49 cities—20% of Texas population. He will continue to lead the GHC 9-1-1 Next Generation 9-1-1 infrastructure and critical systems to meet the demands of public safety telecommunications.
“I am grateful for this opportunity and value working with the GHC 9-1-1 Board of Managers and Staff in continuing our mission to service our region,” said the newly appointed executive director.
Heffernan joined GHC 9-1-1 in 1994, working in different capacities as a vital part of the GHC 9-1-1 technical team. Since 2007, he has served as chief operations officer, leading operations and providing support of the GHC 9-1-1 telecommunications infrastructure. Under his operations leadership, GHC 9-1-1 has excelled as one of the most technologically advanced 9-1-1 systems in the nation. He has assembled one of the most advanced and respected public safety communications teams that:
• Maintains the 24/7/365 Network Operations Center (NOC) supporting 9-1-1 systems for the region.
• Implemented first-of-its-kind public safety redundant data centers.
• Coordinated resource sharing program across the state, which allows other 9-1-1 entities to move forward with more affordable services, and created Texas 9-1-1 Operations Group allowing for collaboration.
• Played lead role in the development and implementation of shared public safety microwave system/network benefitting the region.
• Implemented 9-1-1 text service for one of the largest major metro areas in the country.
The position was filled following the retirement of previous executive director, Lavergne Schwender who served since 2005. For more information about GHC 9-1-1: www.911.org